Six Weeks

I've always been a person who remembers dates. I'm a big "on -this-day-so-many-years-ago-we-were-fill-in-the-blank" kinda girl. I like when memories pop up on social media - they always make me smile. 

But some dates hit a little harder. 

This morning I woke up and realized today was six weeks since I last talked to mom. It was August 7th. It was Kathy's birthday. I had just gotten in the car and I heard the voicemail she left me while I was at work. I called her right back, which I didn't always do, and we had the best conversation. 

She asked about the new house, and about work and the kids, and then we talked about her mom. I asked her how she was doing with with everything - my grandma dying and the "big house" going up for sale. She said she was ok. 

I won't ever forget her saying, "I'm really doing ok. I just miss talking to my mom. I never did much of the talking toward the end, I just listened and let her talk. But I miss that". 

Little did I know that 48 hours later, she would be gone too. 

And now I'm the one who misses talking to my mom. She had a long and beautiful life, and everyday I'm thankful for that. 

But today, I just miss talking to her. 

Saint Simons Island 
September 6, 2025





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let It Snow