Welcome Back

Ten years ago, almost to the date, we landed in Washington DC from Germany. Matt was about to take command of a squadron for the first time. Maxwell was 13 and going into the 8th grade, Henry was 10 and going into 5th and Viv was 6 and about to start kindergarten. The US was fast and loud when we arrived from Kollweiler and it took a while to settle in to life back in the States. Once we did, probably not until a year after we arrived though, we all knew that Virginia would always be special to us. It was a time in my life that I felt most in the "throws" of motherhood. Three kids, three different ages and stages, three schools, three different directions at all times. Never a slow moment. Never a story left untold. 

And now, ten years later. Maxwell is a year post Lycoming graduation. He has moved to Colorado with a young lady that he's fallen in love with, and will start his high school teaching career in the next few weeks. Henry is about to start his third year of college in Alabama.  This summer he's living by himself for the first time and working full-time with future goals that are just within sight. And the little sister. The little sister that was a German-speaking, soon-to-be American kindergartner when we arrived back in the States ten years ago, is a rising sophomore in high school. Three more years with her at home. Three short years, I know. 

I'd like to think that Matt and I have come into our own as well in the last decade. Matt's served his country in ways that we never could have expected. He's risen to every challenge but has learned to do so with softer edges and more compassion, but still has so much left to offer the Air Force. 

And me. I'm finding my role as me. Matt, Maxwell, Henry and Vivian will always be my first thoughts when I open my eyes in the morning and my last thoughts before I go to sleep. Being a good wife and a good mom is the highest compliment anyone could give me, but now there's space for more. I know I can give and serve and do in other ways and I'm so very excited about the possibilities. 

So, there you have it. From then, until now. 

Welcome back to us. It sure feels good to be here.  

June 3, 2023 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 days of January

Head of the Occoquan 2023

Alaska 2024